Springtime in Colorado is my favorite time of the year because usually we can put the snow shovels away and the temperatures are moderate … not too hot and not too cold. However, winter can take a toll on our homes and Memorial Day weekend is the perfect time to do some repair work and preventative maintenance. So here’s some items you may have neglected in your home that now require your attention:
- Get your septic tank cleaned. Your septic tank should be cleaned every 2 – 4 years depending on the size of your household.
- Check the air conditioning filter.
- Check your ceiling fans. Are the blades well balanced and moving in the right direction?
- Check the windows. Do they open and close easily? If not, a can of WD40 goes a long way! Make sure the caulking is good.
- Have your chimney cleaned.
- Check your sprinklers. Sprinklers can waste a lot of water if they have leaks and really increase your water bill!
- Mend fissures in the exterior house siding; look for holes that pests might use to get inside.
- Clean the barbecue and grill; ensure that valves/connections/hoses are working and in good condition. I can smell the steaks sizzling!
- Inspect children’s outdoor play equipment. Tighten loose bolts and cover them with plastic protectors.
- Haul the patio furniture out of storage and hose it down!
And most of all, have fun and enjoy!